Every other day, there is one train runs between Chongqing and Lhasa. Train T222 departs from Chongqing at 20:18 and arrives at Lhasa on the third day at 16:35. The city is one of the major starting points for trains to Tibet, and the journey by train to Lhasa covers 3,030km taking around 35 hours. For visitors who have taken a cruise down the Yangtze River before heading for Tibet. It is the ideal jump-off point for their Tibetan adventure. And train T224 leaves Lhasa at 10:00 and reaches Chongqing on the third day at 08:25.
Chongqing to Lhasa Train Route Map
The Schedule of Chongqing Lhasa Train
|Train No.||Destinations||Depart||Arrival||Run Time||Distance||Hard Sleeper||Soft Sleeper|
|T222||Chonqging to Lhasa||20:23||15:40 (3rd day)||43h 17m||3641 km||CNY 730||CNY 1165|
|T224||Lhasa to Chonqging||10:00||08:33 (3rd day)||46h 33m||3641 km||CNY 730||CNY 1165|
|Frequency; Depart every other day|
Timetable of Chongqing to Lhasa Train – No.Z223
|Chongqing North||261 m||—||22:25||—||Day 1||—|
|Nanchong North||297 m||00:03||00:08||5 min||Day 2||76 km|
|Guangyuan||487 m||02:02||02:40||38 min||Day 2||96 km|
|Lanzhou||1,520 m||09:11||09:27||16 min||Day 2||842 km|
|Xining||2,200 m||12:07||12:27||20 min||Day 2||1,088 km|
|Delingha||2,980 m||16:35||16:37||2 min||Day 2||1,579 km|
|Golmud||2,780 m||19:20||19:45||25 min||Day 2||1,888 km|
|Nagchu||4,500 m||05:59||06:05||6 min||Day 3||2,708 km|
|Lhasa||3,650 m||09:55||—||—||Day 3||3,030 km|
Timetable of Lhasa to Chongqing Train – No.Z224
|Lhasa||3,650 m||—||18:30||—||Day 1||—|
|Nagchu||4,500 m||21:49||21:55||6 min||Day 1||322 km|
|Golmud||2,780 m||08:05||08:30||25 min||Day 2||1,142 km|
|Delingha||2,980 m||10:57||10:59||2 min||Day 2||1,451 km|
|Xining||2,200 m||15:19||15:39||20 min||Day 2||1,972 km|
|Lanzhou||1,520 m||18:37||18:52||15 min||Day 2||2,188 km|
|Guangyuan||487 m||01:23||02:05||42 min||Day 3||2,788 km|
|Nanchong North||297 m||04:18||04:40||22 min||Day 3||2,899 km|
|Chongqing North||261 m||06:23||—||—||Day 3||3,030 km|
Sight views nearby Chongqing city
While the city may appear to be rough on the surface, taking a deeper look reveals a city with its own character and many interesting sites worth looking into. With the largest population in western China, Chongqing is part of China’s “Go West” policy, which is designed to help the development of western China. This has resulted in a very lively and modernizing city.
If you are thinking of taking in the sights of old China, there is no better place than Chongqing. Alongside the Yangtze River and the Three Gorges, it also harbors other attraction such as the Dazu rock carvings, that date back to the Tang Dynasty in around 650AD. The carvings, which can be found at many places around Dazu County, include over 50,000 statues and more than 100,000 carvings of inscriptions and epigraphs, While Buddhist statues tend to dominate in these carvings, there are also many Taoist and Confucian stone figures to be found.
Southeast of Chongqing, at the lower reaches of the Wujiang River, is the Wulong Karst National Geology Park. Wulong Karst is a natural wonder that has been realized as a valuable treasure in China. It consists of several karst landscapes with gorges, natural stone bridges, immense cave systems, and underground streams. These landforms have been slowly developed since the Pleistocene era. The Furong Cave, Three Natural Bridges, and Hoping Giant Doline are the main karst landforms that have developed due to the intermittent movement of the earth’s crust in the area.
Chongqing Train station
The trains to Tibet leave from the Chongqing North Railway Station, formerly known as the Longtou Temple Station. It was opened in 2006, and reconstruction of the new North Square was completed in January 2015. The station handles trains daily to Beijing, Shanghai, Lanzhou, Xi’an, Guangzhou, and Chengdu. Chengdu trains are the high-speed bullet trains. The train to Lhasa departs from the station every other day.
There are ten scheduled bus lines that run to the station from all over the city, and a connecting bus between the North Square and South Square that runs every 8-10 minutes. Travel to the station from Chongqing Airport is easy, by metro line, bus or taxi. The Metro Line 3 runs direct to the station and takes around 30 minutes. Taxis take around 30 minutes with little to no traffic, but since the area is subject to many traffic jams at peak times of the day, the Metro line is recommended.
- Train from Chongqing to Lhasa departs not daily, but every other day,
- Trains depart from Chengdu and Chongqing respectively. for example, Odd days in a month from Chengdu, and Even days from Chongqing. If unfortunately, Chongqing to Lhasa Train does not depart on your date or you miss the train. you may take a fast train to Chengdu which is only 1.5 hours distance.
- Do remember to bring and show your personal passport. Tibet Travel Permit and a train ticket to the train inspector before boarding. It is also advisable to have a few copies of Tibet Travel Permit. since you may be checked many times about the relevant documents during the train ride. Just do as the staff of railway station says.
What sort of window view do we expect to see?
Just like the road trip by car, one could enjoy the scenery on both sides of the road. The stunning scenery along the Tibet railway line will never let you down. As the train passes Xining and enters Golmud region, the breathtaking view appears one after another. Be sure to capture the memorable experience with your camera. Major attractions are Qarhan Salt Lake, Yuzhu Peak, Kekexili Nature Reserve, Tuotuo He River, Tangula pass, Tsonag Lake, Qiangtang prairie, Namtso, etc.
Having a ride on Qinghai-Tibet train route is definitely the experience of a lifetime. Besides, the long distance and pressurized train tailor-made for acclimatization of extreme altitude make the ride different from another train journey. Following tips are suggested for tourists to better enjoy the Views on Tibet train. See more: the detailed introduction of the scenery of Qinghai-Tibet railway.
Travel Tips for Catching Your Train
- Check your train ticket or consult with your ticketing agent to make sure that you get the correct train station.
- You will be allowed on board the train 30 minutes before departure time. The train will be closed 5 minutes before departure. So please well schedule your time for the transfer from your hotel to the station taking the traffic snag into consideration.
- You are requested to go through the security check (luggage check) when you enter the main hall of the train station.
- Once you are in the main hall, please see the huge live train timetable board to get the correct waiting room for your departure train.
- In the waiting room, very often you have to stand to wait there for the coming train since usually there will be very much crowded and no seats are available.
- While in the waiting room, please see the live train timetable and a signboard indicating the boarding time of your train.
- Line up for the ticket check by the ticket collectors or insert the ticket in the turnstile and then follow the throng on to the platform ( make sure to get the correct platform).
- Show your ticket to the train conductor standing the door of your carriage before you embark on your train ride.
- After the train is moving, the train conductress will walk to you again to check your passport or ID card for security reason. In addition, you have to give your ticket to the conductor in exchange for a boarding card (if sleeper tickets). The card shows your seat number same with the ticket. When the train is about to arrive, the conductress will approach you to exchange the card back for your ticket.
- If you miss the train or lose your tickets, you cannot have your tickets refunded and you have to buy another one.
- If you lose your tickets on the train, you are supposed to buy another one when passing the arrival station. So do not lose your tickets on the train
Railway Rules and Regulations You Should Know
China railway rules and regulations are different with any other country in the world. Getting familiar with these rules will make your rail travel in China more successful and happy!
Carry-on Luggage Rules:
- Inflammable and explosive dangerous goods, animal and pet are not allowed to take on board of the train.
- Weight requirement for carry-on luggage: maximum weight of carry-on luggage is 10kg for a child passenger, the maximum weight for carry-on luggage is 20kg for an adult passenger.
- Size requirment for carry-on luggage: total length of your carry-on luggage ( length+width+height) should be under 200cm.
Requirements for Child Tickets
Instead of age, China railway has special requirements on height to buy child ticket. Summary for child ticket requirements:
- Children with the height under 120cm can enjoy free rail travel and don’t need to pay to travel by train.
- Children with the height of 120cm and 150cm have rights to buy discounted train tickets. Price for a sleeper ticket for a child is about 70% of that of an adult ticket.
- Children with the height above 150cm should buy fully-priced train tickets no matter how old they are.
- The timetable above is just for reference.
- We can NOT offer ticket-only service. According to the Tibet Government, foreign visitors must book a tour from a travel agency and obtain a Tibet Entry Permit before booking Tibet train ticket.
- Tibet train tickets are quite popular and always sold out quickly, please make your inquiry at least 3-5 months before your departure date.
- Because the hard and soft sleeper tickets from Other cities to Lhasa are few and hard to get, we recommend you to take a flight to Xining, and then take the train from Xining to Lhasa.
- The main advantage of traveling via airplane to Xining and then taking the train from there is that you can save time on the trip, and as Xining is at an elevation of 2,275 meters, you can always spend a day there to help with acclimatizing to the higher altitudes. This can help to reduce the risk of altitude sickness. Moreover, as most of the spectacular scenery is on the train from Golmud (where the train starts its ascent to the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau) you would not be missing any of the best parts of the train journey.