This 6-day overland journey from Lhasa to Kathmandu takes you along the scenic Sino-Nepal highway, providing breathtaking views of the Himalayas and the picturesque Tibetan countryside. Explore the ancient cities of Lhasa, Gyantse, and Shigatse to gain a profound insight into Tibet’s rich religious heritage, cultural treasures, and enchanting landscapes. Discover the essence of Tibet in just six days, immersing yourself in a journey filled with awe and cultural discovery.
Discovering the Mystical Charm of Lhasa and the Journey to Everest Base Camp
Day 1 Arrival in Lhasa
Upon landing, our friendly staff, adorned with the distinctive highland red, will warmly welcome you to the mystical city of Lhasa. As you step onto the plateau, it’s crucial to slow down, relax, and acclimate to the high-altitude atmosphere. We’ll take you to your hotel, allowing your body to adjust gradually.
Day 2 Lhasa City Tour: First Glimpse of the Holy City
- A timeless blend of Tibetan, Tang, Nepalese, and Indian architectural styles.
- Endless incense wafts through the air as devout believers leave deep imprints on the stone floor with their sincere prostrations.
Booking Information for Jokhang Temple Tickets:
- Tickets require real-name reservation through the “Jokhang Temple Reservation” WeChat mini-program.
- Since group reservations are not available, individuals need to make their own bookings.
- A vibrant circumambulation route around Jokhang Temple is known for its religious significance.
- Beware of counterfeit goods in the street markets; exercise caution when purchasing.
- Witness lively debates among monks, a unique aspect of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Marvel at thousands of Buddha statues, with the famous “Horse Head Vajra” in the protector deity hall.
Day 3 Lhasa Exploration: Unveiling the Sacred City
- Explore the magnificent palace constructed by Songtsen Gampo, embodying Tibetan history and spirituality.
- Booking Note: Real-name reservation is mandatory; strict adherence to entry schedules.
Tips for Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple Visit:
- Bring original identification documents.
- Dress modestly; no shorts or revealing attire.
- Follow the rules and regulations for photo and video capture.
Day 4 Lhasa to Gyantse (Approx. 380km, 7 hours)
Exploring Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier
Embark on a scenic journey along the Yarlung Tsangpo River Valley, witnessing the breathtaking Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier. Capture the essence of the “Blue Lake of Heaven” and the awe-inspiring glacier, offering fantastic photo opportunities.
Note: In Gyantse, visit the Pelkor Monastery and the Kumbum Stupa.
Gyantse to Shigatse: The Spiritual Heart of Tibet
Explore the Gyantse Dzong and the Kumbum Stupa, significant landmarks with rich historical and cultural significance. Continue the journey to Shigatse, the second-largest city in Tibet, and visit the Tashilhunpo Monastery, the seat of the Panchen Lama.
Tip: Witness the intricate process of creating traditional Tibetan carpets.
Day 5 Shigatse to Everest Base Camp
(Approx. 350km, 8 hours): A Himalayan Odyssey
Experience the diverse landscapes as you traverse Everest Base Camp. Marvel at the mighty Himalayas and, weather permitting, catch a glimpse of the world’s highest peak.
Note: Visit Sakya Monastery en route to Everest Base Camp.
Everest Base Camp (EBC) Sunrise: Witnessing the Roof of the World
Rise early to witness the majestic sunrise at Everest Base Camp, a truly surreal experience. Gaze upon the world’s highest peak, Mount Everest, and capture the breathtaking panorama.
Tip: Dress warmly, as temperatures can drop significantly in the morning.
Day 6 Everest Base Camp to Gyirong
(Approx. 320km, 7 hours): Descending from the Heights
Descend from the heights of Everest Base Camp to Zhangmu, experiencing a change in scenery. En route, visit the Rongbuk Monastery, the highest monastery globally, and savour the stunning views of Everest.
Drive to Zhangmu and, with the assistance of our guides, complete the border crossing into Nepal. Transportation options to Kathmandu are available at the border exit; our team can assist with reservations if needed.
Tip: Plan for transportation in advance, especially if heading to Kathmandu.