The flight time for Chengdu Lhasa flights is approximately 2 hours. The prices from Chengdu and Chongqing are generally the lowest, and the flight duration is also relatively short. There are numerous direct flights available, offering multiple take-off and landing times. Most indirect flights to Lhasa from other cities will stop at Chengdu. Sichuan Airlines is headquartered in Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. It is the largest airline in China.
Frequency of Chengdu Lhasa Flights
Chengdu is the most convenient city to enter Tibet, with over 30 daily flights available from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prices vary based on departure time, ranging from a few hundred to over 1,000. The later the departure, the higher the price.
Travelling to Tibet by Trains
Flights from Chengdu to Xining run six times a day and cost around US$102. The flight takes approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. Flights leave for Xining from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport.
Travelling by aeroplane to Xining and then taking the train offers the advantage of saving time and acclimatizing to higher altitudes. Spending a day in Xining can reduce the risk of altitude sickness. Additionally, the most breathtaking scenery is on the train from Golmud, so you won’t miss any of the highlights of the journey.
If you're travelling from Chengdu to Lhasa, you have multiple transportation options. The train journey takes about 36 hours, passing through the Tibetan Plateau with stunning landscapes. There are different classes available on the train for comfort. Regardless of your choice, be prepared for a breathtaking adventure to Lhasa.
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, located about 16 kilometres northeast of Chengdu, is a 4F international aviation hub. The airport has 2 terminals with a waiting area of 500,000 square meters, capable of accommodating 50 million passengers annually. It also features 3 air cargo terminals, 2 parallel runways, and 3 aircraft parking areas, covering a total area of 9.4127 million square meters. As of January 2020, the airport has 228 parking spaces and offers 270 air routes to 209 domestic and foreign cities.
It has direct international flights to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Karachi, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, and connecting routes to Sydney via Shanghai Pudong, Tokyo via Beijing, Jakarta via GuanGuangzhou – Lhasa Flightsgzhou and Vancouver via Shanghai Pudong. Chengdu is a perfect transfer station for those who want to go to Tibet. Apart from regular flights to Lhasa, there are also routes to Nyingchi, Bangda of Chamdo. Meanwhile, it is also convenient for passengers to transfer to Lijiang, Kunming, and Jiuzhaigou. It brings the link to the most stunning natural beauty of Southwest China.
Chengdu Tianfu Airport
Chengdu Tianfu International Airport is 50 kilometres away from Chengdu city centre in the north, 50 kilometres away from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport in the northwest, and 14.5 kilometres away from Jianyang city centre in the northeast. One of the highest-level airports and the main hub of Chengdu International Aviation Hub.
As of June 2021, Chengdu Tianfu International Airport has 2 terminals; 210 aircraft space for civil aviation and 3 runways. It can meet the annual passenger throughput of 60 million passengers and 1.3 million tons of cargo and mail throughput. In the summer and autumn seasons of 2022, Chengdu Tianfu International Airport has a total of 31 airlines operating 229 domestic routes, connecting 156 airports in 154 cities, with a daily planned flight volume of about 857.
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport has a convenient route network to Europe, America, Africa, Asia and Oceania. As of May 31, 2020, there are 363 routes have been opened, including 128 international (regional) routes, 217 domestic routes, and 18 domestic to international routes.
Popular Attractions sight near and in Chengdu
Chengdu, the capital city of Sichuan province in China, is not only known for its delicious spicy cuisine but also for its rich cultural and historical heritage. In addition to exploring the city itself, there are several incredible tourist attractions nearby that are worth visiting. Let’s delve into some of these captivating sights that will surely leave you in awe.
Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda
- One of the most famous attractions near Chengdu is the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. As one of the few places in the world where you can see these adorable creatures up close, this research base is a must-visit for any animal lover. Witnessing the pandas in their natural habitat, munching on bamboo shoots or playing around, is an experience that is bound to melt your heart.
- Another gem located close to Chengdu is Mount Emei, one of the Four Sacred Buddhist Mountains of China. This majestic mountain not only offers breathtaking scenery but is also home to numerous ancient temples and cultural relics. Embark on a serene hike up the mountain and discover the hidden treasures along the way. The panoramic views from the summit are simply breathtaking, making it a perfect spot for nature enthusiasts and photography enthusiasts alike.
Leshan Giant Buddha
- Just a short distance from Mount Emei lies the Leshan Giant Buddha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and an architectural marvel. Carved out of a cliff, this colossal statue of Buddha stands at a staggering 71 meters tall, making it the largest stone Buddha statue in the world. As you stand at the foot of this awe-inspiring creation, you can’t help but feel a sense of reverence and admiration for the skilled craftsmanship that went into its construction.
- For those looking to immerse themselves in the vibrant local culture, a visit to Kuanzhai Street is a must. This quaint street, lined with traditional buildings, showcases the essence of old Chengdu. Explore the various shops, tea houses, and restaurants that dot the street, indulging in the local delicacies and experiencing the traditional way of life. The lively atmosphere and the intricate architecture will transport you back in time, offering a glimpse into ancient China.
- For those looking to indulge in some retail therapy, a trip to Chunxi Road is a must. This bustling shopping district is a paradise for shopaholics, offering a plethora of retail stores, boutiques, and malls. From high-end international brands to local speciality shops, you can find everything your heart desires here. The vibrant atmosphere, street performers, and mouthwatering street food add to the overall charm of Chunxi Road, ensuring a memorable shopping experience.
From October 25, 2015, the closing time of check-in for domestic flights departing from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport has been officially adjusted from 30 minutes to 45 minutes before flight departure. The notice of the carrier airline shall prevail.
In June 2013, the port of Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport was approved to implement the 72-hour transit visa-free policy for foreigners. The airport became the fourth airport in mainland China to obtain the 72-hour transit visa-free policy for foreigners, and it was also the first in central and western China to implement the 72-hour visa-free transit policy.
An airport with an hourly transit visa-free policy. From September 2013, people from 51 countries including Germany, who hold a third-country visa and a connecting flight ticket with a confirmed date and seat within 72 hours to a third country (region), can travel to the third country (region) without a Chinese visa. Entry and exit from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, stay in Chengdu administrative division for 72 hours.
A Tibet Travel permit is essential for flying to Tibet.
To visit Lhasa in Tibet, a Tibet travel permit is required. This permit is necessary for flights from major cities in China to Tibet. Tibet is known for its breathtaking landscapes, historic monasteries, and vibrant culture. To obtain the permit, travellers must book a tour with a registered travel agency and submit the required documents such as a scanned passport copy and a Chinese visa. The application will be reviewed and processed by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, a process that usually takes one to two weeks. After approval, travellers can embark on their flight to Lhasa, revelling in the awe-inspiring views of the Himalayas en route.
The permit controls tourist numbers and enforces regulations. To get it, book with a registered agency. They'll apply on your behalf using your passport and visa details. It takes 10-15 days to process. Remember, you can't board your flight without a permit. Keep it with you throughout your trip. Some areas may require additional permits.
- The timetable is just for reference.
- We can NOT offer a ticket-only service.
- foreign visitors must book a tour from a travel agency according to Tibet Tourism Bureau and administrative rules. You have to obtain a Tibet Travel Permit before booking a Tibet flight ticket.
You are free to contact us for an inquiry about customizing a Tibet tour with a flight to Tibet. A quick reply will be sent to you within 24 hours.
Precautions for flying
Please note the airport arrival procedure. Airlines typically require a 30-minute check-in prior to departure, so it is advisable to arrive at least one hour before the flight.
Changing boarding pass
Check which counter is processing your flight. The airport has a display screen that shows the counter for each flight. Locate the corresponding counter and give your ticket and ID card or passport to the check-in staff. If you have large luggage, check it in here. The Economy class allows free luggage up to 20 kilograms. Make sure you don’t have any prohibited items in your checked luggage. Once the boarding process is done, the check-in staff will return your passenger ticket, boarding pass, luggage ticket, and ID card or Passport.
At the entrance, passengers must submit their coupon, boarding pass, and ID card to the security inspector at the counter. If everything is fine, the boarding pass will be stamped. Then, proceed through the security gate and place your belongings in the X-ray machine nearby. After passing through the security gate, wait in the waiting hall.
Boarding time and announcements
After the boarding announcement, service personnel at the boarding gate will tear the boarding pass. They will return a small piece to the passengers and keep the rest. Then, they will proceed to board the plane along with the other passengers.
Special and discounted airfare
Choose budget airlines for cheaper flights that include just the ticket, taxes, and fuel. The top picks are Chunqiu and Jixiang. Airlines like China Southern and China Eastern offer big discounts monthly, on the 28th and 18th, respectively. Buy tickets then for savings. Tickets go fast at midnight but keep trying for chances due to cancellations.
Prices change often, so watch closely and plan your flight dates for the best deals. Book international flights 4-8 weeks early, and domestic ones 2-4 weeks in advance, for cheaper fares.